What's new
TX Wheelhouse

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox, and even join our Discord!

Platform Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

TXW Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Good afternoon, TX Wheelhouse members!

I wanted to be very transparent about our platform here and some upcoming changes that are being made.

Prior to building this website, I researched several different platforms for hosting. I looked at vBulletin, XenForo, Invision, and several others. The things I absolutely needed were:

• A calendar system that members could create events on
  • An easy to use forum to have discussions
  • The ability to use plugins to fill in the blanks when needed

I originally landed on Invision as our community software of choice, but I am finding out that there are some annoyances that I cannot overlook. The biggest flaw is the calendar system. I LOVE how the calendar system looks. Big graphics from submitted flyers, easy to read dates and event info, and the ability to have separate calendars based on region.

What's the flaw? Some of you have already tried this, so you may know exactly what I am talking about. When you setup a recurrence, you can only do so on the n'th day of the month, or weekly, or daily. That means your recurring event would look like it happens on, for example, the 10th day of the month, every month. August 10th, September 10th, October 10th, etc.

As you know, a majority of car meets are either annual happenings or monthly happenings, typically scheduled on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th x-day of the month, like 2nd Sunday, or 3rd Saturdays. The Invision calendar does not support setting up this kind of recurrence, unfortunately.

With all this said, I've decided to switch platforms and invest in an event plugin that will work similarly but have the fixed recurrence features on XenForo.

I am in the process of getting the current data from this site migrated over to XenForo, and then work behind the scenes to get it all fixed up before I redirect everything to that platform.

If all goes well, your accounts will be intact, current posts (as of today) will be recreated over there, and there shouldn't be anything you need to do. I wanted to nip this in the bud early so there would be less work to do later, so bear with me while I get everything on the other platform up and running!

Domain now points to the new platform. Please bear with me while I work on getting all the other stuff up and running.

One big thing is if you go into your Profile > Connected Accounts, you can connect your Discord account and get access to our Discord for live chatting!

Calendar system added, although recurrence options are still borked. Reaching out to developer for update. For now, recurring events are disabled but you can create one-offs.

Theme has been restored! Waiting for the next calendar update which will have the fixed recurrence. Thanks for bearing with me everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back